Friday, July 9, 2010

I wish I had known about this when I was teaching.


I came across a movie today that I really wish I had known about when I was teaching. The movie is called "Homie Spumoni", and tells the story of a young black man who grew up in an Italian-American family, but then discovers his true heritage and has to "learn how to be black" (the movie's words, not mine).

Now, beyond raising all kinds of questions (i.e., someone actually approved this script and backed this movie?), this would have been the PERFECT example to launch a discussion on cultural identity. My students always asked me what Americans thought of Italians. I explained the basic stereotypes (spaghetti, lasagna, la grande famiglia), but also explained that these stereotypes are based off of Italian-Americans, not Italians. Huge difference.

A few times, I tried to extend the discussion to the broader topic of cultural stereotypes in general, but it got dangerous fast. I had a hard time holding back when my students (and the other profs) made blatantly racist statements.

This movie could have been our point of reference. Instead of our stereotypes, we could have discussed what stereotypes the movie promotes. The inclusion of a third party (the movie) displaces the sensitivity of the subject. Our own opinions about cultural stereotypes wouldn't have even had to be brought into the discussion.

Furthermore, the protagonist of the movie is Donald Faison of Clueless and Scrubs. My students love Scrubs (it must have gained something in translation). This lesson totally would have been a hit. Or at least in my top five (along with my Ebonics lesson and the time I mimed an entire lesson because no one studied their vocabulary).

No comments:

Post a Comment