Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fools!

How would I translate "April Fools"? I've been thinking about this all day. The word for "fool" is "scemo", but that seems too literal to me, and isn't quite right. Italians have a translation for April Fools Day - "pesce d'aprile" - but I'm just not satisfied with it. I'm also unhappy with my "pesce d'aprile" experience. No one tried to fool me, and no one wished me "Buon pesce d'aprile". All I got was "Buona Pasqua".
I'm so fixated on this because the words for "fool" in Italian are so great. Along with scemo, you have sciocco, scemo, pazzo, matto, and buffone for nouns. For verbs, there's scherzare, ingannare, fare lo scemo, prendere in giro, giocherellare, and, in some senses, fregare - a personal favorite of mine (for further explanations of these translations, check out this page at wordreference.com). I've been playing around with possible translations all day in my head. Perhaps Pazzi di Primavera? Or, La Festa di Fregare? None of these are quite right, but neither is "pesce d'aprile", at least not to me. And I can't get an explanation for the pesce (fish) thing from anybody.
I'm mostly upset because I would have loved to teach a lesson on April Fools Day, but alas, today marked the beginning of Easter vacation, so I am off of school for the next week. I really wanted to begin with explaining some classic April Fools Day pranks, and then expand to pranks in general. This is part of a bigger topic I'm trying to teach: weird American holidays. Groundhog's Day is currently number one. Since my students don't understand a lot of English, a lot of my lessons end up being more like a game of charades. My lesson on Groundhog's Day was especially entertaining.
Anyway, I'm still fooling around (pun intended) with the translation of April Fools, so if any of you people out there in the blogosphere have any thoughts on the matter, please share them!

No comments:

Post a Comment