Thursday, April 8, 2010

pasta con carciofini (pasta with artichokes)


Let me tell you about artichokes.
Until about a year ago, I was indifferent towards artichokes. I didn't dislike them, but they were so spiny, tough, and such hard work that it just seemed easier to avoid them. Plus, I'm not into butter, so the whole steamed-artichoke-and-butter thing never appealed to me.
But then I came to Italy (this is how so many of my food adventures begin), where fresh baby artichokes are cooked sottili sottili (very thin) and cooked in a pan with extra virgin olive oil on a medium-low flame for about a half an hour. Or they are tossed with pasta and speck, a thick cut smoked ham. Or they are tossed in bread crumbs and fried. In other words, artichokes became the most delicious vegetable I had ever tasted.
It's the tail end of artichoke season here in Italy, and as a result, you can get the beautiful baby ones for a bit cheaper than normal (about 5-7 euro a kilo). My Aunt and I picked some up before heading back to London, and decided to attempt to re-create the thin, peppery-sweet sauteed artichokes we had eaten at a trattoria.

Cutting the tough and spiny bits off



slicing the artichokes sottili sottili

caramelized shallots make everything more delicious


The final, delicious product.

No comments:

Post a Comment