Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I was thinking back fondly to my students earlier today, and remembered two of my favorite dialogues:

Scene 1: Trinity prep class, Level I. Topic of discussion: vacations. Grammar to be employed: "the most: vs. "the least".

Me: So Matteo, which part of your vacation did you not like?
Matteo: I liked Pompeii the least.
Me: Why is that?
Matteo: Everything was ruined.

Scene 2: Class 4Ai, a class of rowdy, yet very sharp individuals. Topic of discussion: first day of an on-going lesson on the health care system in the United States (a topic they are very interested in, believe it or not).

Me: ... so, a simple visit to the doctor can cost up to $500. A hospital visit can cost even more!
Student: Si, ma da voi ce l'avete il Dottore House, e allooooraa... (Yea but in America you have Doctor House, sooo...)
Applause and cheers of encouragement from classmates. I just shake my head and try hard not to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment