Wednesday, November 3, 2010

eccolavita: the remix

I really do feel bad that I'm not blogging as much as I was. Although I don't have a huge following (hi, friends and family!), it is something I really love doing for myself. After four years of writing nothing but research papers, reports and translations, it feels glorious to be able to write for myself again.
But now, I have a lack of material. As much as I love my new job, I'm not really doing that much with my language skills. Working every day means I don't have the opportunity to seek out new restaurants or bakeries. It also means I don't have as much time to bake. And I'm not in Italy, and won't see that glorious paese until the end of March.
But then I started to think what this blog was really meant to be. I started it in Milano as an attempt to understand the Italian lifestyle through my own American upbringing. I love Italy (as you might have already guessed), but I could never live there indefinitely. There are certain things I can't compromise - diversity, equal rights, and whole grains, to name a few - that for now, just aren't as prevalent there as they are here.
Does this mean this blog is obsolete? I don't think so. Because anyone who knows me knows I love Italy. I talk about it all the time. I am constantly referencing my experiences teaching, studying abroad, and living with my second family, the Richichis. I still need to eat pizza once a week. Even if I'm not currently in practice, being an Italophile is a full-time job.
So rather than defend myself after a month of not blogging, I will attempt to blog more, and ask that you, readers, keep something in mind: the Italian is still in there, it's just not as obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment