Tuesday, February 2, 2010

second day on the job

Second day at work, and I must say, things get more confusing over time, not less so. Here are some examples:

1) I sat down with the two main professors I'm teaching with, Anna Maria and Laura, to figure out my schedule. I don't have everything in writing yet, but it looks like I'll have Mondays and Wednesdays off. I might have to come in on some Mondays but only, and this is a quote, "if it's not raining". I don't know how we'll plan that in advance. This is so quintessentially Italian I don't know what to do with myself.

2) I met a strange professor today in the mensa who requested I come into his class to sing such classic tunes as "White Christmas" and "Home On The Range". I said I'd think about it.

3) I still haven't met two of the English professors, even though I've been there for two full days and spend a fair amount of time in the teacher's lounge. Where are they?

Other than these slight conundrums, the day was fairly enjoyable. The kids continue to crack me up. It's especially entertaining because, for the sake of really improving their English, I pretend I don't speak Italian, so they don't know I understand everything they say. One young man said, as I entered the class, "if I know she was coming I would've worn a tie". Hahahaha

I'm having dinner with tutte le ragazze di Smith tonight at a pizzeria napoletana. Pictures will be up asap!

No comments:

Post a Comment