Sunday, March 7, 2010

In fair Verona

The weather forecast predicted clear skies and beautiful Mediterranean sun for all day Saturday, so I decided to go to Verona. I wanted to see some of the Italy I remember from my Firenze days: Medieval town, winding streets that are impossible to navigate, houses so beautiful it seems impossible that normal people actually live there, etc. Verona is only an hour and a half away by regional train, so to Verona I went.

Verona is very compact, so I spent most of the day just wandering around. It is very close to Venezia, and the palette is very much the same: faded corals, sea-foam greens, and golden, sandy yellows are constant reminders that the sea is not far away.





Of course, I checked out la Casa di Giulietta, with the famous balcony. But what I liked most about Juliet's house were the millions of post-its and graffiti adorning the walls of the entrance: declarations of love from everyone who has ever visited her house. In fact, I found declarations of love all over the city.






I visited some beautiful churches as well:




And some more shots from around Verona:









No comments:

Post a Comment