Sunday, March 21, 2010

March 20th - the most important day of the year ... officially.


March 20th is an important day in my book. First off, it's my Dad's birthday (happy belated, dad!). Secondly, every other year it is the official first day of spring.

It is also, apparently Le Jour du Macaron: a French holiday created specifically to celebrate, eat, and enjoy French macaroons. Yes, this is a real holiday, and yes, I'm incredibly upset I missed it.

Essentially, March 20th is the best. day. ever.

I love macarons. They encompass everything I love about pastries - they're beautiful to look at, they come in delicious flavors (cassis! salted caramel! raspberry ganache!), and the central ingredient, almond, is one of my absolute faves. They have them in almost all French bakeries, but if you're completely desperate (as I so often am), you can order them online. So the real question: why wasn't I aware that there is an entire holiday dedicated to these little culinary wonders? Well, the truth is, it's not very well publicized, and I'm in Italy, where they would never openly recognize anything French (they're still bitter about the whole Zidane thing).

So, as a belated homage to my new favorite holiday, I'll post a few of the photos I've taken of macarons in the past year and hope to dream of these delectable treats.




2 comments:

  1. Can you believe i have never had one of these?! It is my new mission this week. Ill keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ceci-Cela on spring street in soho makes a great macaron, or Almondine in bk (dumbo and park slope).

    ReplyDelete