Saturday, March 13, 2010

ladies in fur coats


In every Italian city I visit, I notice there is one dominating fashion trend that I see everywhere. It could just be me - that I only notice particular aspects of la moda italiana when I arrive in Italy, and subsequently associate said trends with the city I happen to be in. However, in my head these particular trends will always be associated with that city. In Florence, it was the pairing of the perfect golden-mustard colored pant with a sleek navy blazer on men. Everywhere I looked, gli uomini fiorentini were sporting this same outfit, and the colors absolutely spot-on.

In Milano, it's ladies with fur coats. I see hundreds of them. They are mostly older women. Usually fur bothers me, but it is just so perfect on these women. It's as if, as a donna milanese, you develop this outer-fur-shell once you hit 65. That's how ubiquitous and fitting these coats are.

I've been trying to capture the essence of the fur coat theme since I arrived in Milano, but I've failed. I tried taking sneaky pictures from behind or across a street, but it doesn't work out. These women demand the whole frame, not to be part of a city back drop. I've contemplated asking them if I could take their picture, but I haven't quite worked up the guts to do it. I came across the above picture today and thought it was the closest I'll ever come to collecting images of ladies in fur coats. I haven't given up, though!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh fur, so controversial yet so beautiful. My mother just bought one in a vintage store on Mott street much like the second lady across, in the first row. She paid 445 dollars for it. Shock/Horror! but seriously how could you leave it behind! Im the owner of 4 pairs of leather boots and two leather jackets, i believe it would be extremely hypocritical of me to denounce the use of fur for fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no i hate fur, i know it's hypocritical to a degree, but the way people obtain fur is so inhumane in some cases. i could never buy or wear it.

    ReplyDelete