Friday, March 5, 2010

money, cash, pizza

Today, I got paid.

This is wonderful for two reasons. One... I need to pay my rent. Two, it was my first time getting paid as an official, full-time employee. I've had summer jobs, and odd jobs here and there, and of course, I know the joy of getting a paycheck. But this is my first real job out of college. It felt awesome to have the bank teller hand me my first stipendio (and in Euro, no less!)

I felt I needed to celebrate. I ignored my initial instinct (go gelato-hopping; like bar-hopping, but with gelato) and instead headed to the grocery store to pick up baking supplies. I decided I would make a variation of a pear tart, since I had some pere molto mature, and also pick up the necessary ingredients for granola bars, since my favorite recipe is absolutely fool-proof and they're a great thing to have around.

I'm not going to write out the whole recipe for this tart, I'll just say that I poached the pears in red wine and sugar, caramelized some walnuts, arranged some pasta sfoglia integrale, saved the leftover wine to make a reduction, and poof! I had a tart. I also glazed the top with some honey. This tart is in desparate need of panna, or custard, or something to bind it all together, so I think I will add it when I serve the rest to Mirella (a close, master-baker friend of mine has taught me that the joy of baking is sharing; I half agree, but for the sake of not becoming un grassone, I'll abide for the time being).




1 comment: